The Top 20 Songs for the Road
Not that I want to be Nicholson's perfectly organized Melvin Udall, but I do believe that one must have a tape full of the perfect driving songs when out on the road. This must be one that you can just play continously for 500 miles (no, its not included) and never get tired of. A big ask, you say? True, but arent there those rollicking numbers you've heard which you say you could hear a 1000 times and it still wont be enough? Something that goes perfectly well with the sense of adventure and the limitless possibilities of the open road?
Not for me those readymade Driving Songs collections. Come rain or shine, sleet or snow, these are the 20 I'd take with me. There might be some I'm forgetting, and to them I apologise.
- Passenger – Iggy Pop
- Have you ever seen the rain? – Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
- Dreams – Cranberries
- Life is a highway – Tom Cochrane
- I’ll remember – Madonna
- You're the one that I want – Olivia Newton John & John Travolta
- Bette Davis Eyes – Kim Carnes
- I'm gonna be (500 Miles) – The Proclaimers
- Oliver’s Army – Elvis Costello
- She drives me crazy – Fine Young Cannibals
- Rotterdam – The Beautiful South
- End of the line – Travellin Wilburys
- Got my mind set on you – George Harrison
- Breakfast at Tiffanys – Deep Blue Something
- Buddy Holly – Wheezer
- Don’t play your rock and roll to me – Smokie
- Fourteen years – Guns n Roses
- Daydream believer – The Monkees
- Truckin' – The Grateful Dead
*The links are to pages where you can hear the samples.